Friday, February 18, 2011

Treasure Island Book Review

During my journey to read 15 books for the Off the Shelf Challenge, I decided it would be wise to throw some classics in my list. One of them is Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson. During the first few chapters, I wasn’t as enthralled as I would be with modern literature. But after a few more chapters, I was hooked. If you haven’t read older literature, it may be difficult to get used to the old language style. It’s worth it, though, to invest your time in reading the classics.
My favorite character in Treasure Island turned out to be the one-legged, Long John Silver. He was by far the most dynamic character—stealing the show. I loved how Stevenson developed Long John’s voice. It made me giggle when Long John said things like, “Shiver me timbers” and “By gum.” He is elusive in where his loyalties lie, but regardless, he’s a fun character to get to know.
My favorite sentence in the entire book is, “I could hear hails coming and going between the old buccaneer and his comrades, and this sound of danger lent me wings.” The imagery I felt in this sentence is almost tangible. How it says, “lent me wings” is breath taking on so many levels. You can literally see in your mind how quick the character, Jim, is fleeing from danger.
I’m really surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. It turned out to be really fun to read a pirate book. The thrilling adventure made me unable to put it down. I hope that you have the same experience if you chose to read this scrumptious book.
Have you read it? What is your opinion of Treasure Island? And what are your favorite classics?  

6 comments:

  1. I'm gonna start off the conversation. My favorite classic has to be Pride and Prejudice. Gotta love that one and the BBC version of it. All hail Collin Firth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm ashamed to say I've tried the classics a few times but always give up a few pages in. Maybe if I would stick it out I would get hooked too. Classics for me now are YA books I loved when I was a teen. Hehe :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Pride and Prejudice too! And I just read the play Cyrano de Begerac for school and while the beginning was really boring, the ending wasn't too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tiffany, I must admit that it is tough for me to get into the classics too. Just feel like I should be well rounded. I'd much rather read new YA. There are great and fun. I have to support my crowd too!
    Writergal, yeah, they can be boring. I get through YA much faster.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such an interesting and classy book

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete