Friday, February 25, 2011

My Novel's Inspirational Song

Just a reminder: Don't forget to enter to win a $20 Amazon.com gift card. Just follow this link to get to the rules: Bookshelf Photo Contest Contest ends tomorrow.

A lot of authors these days have songs that remind them of their books or give them inspiration for their stories. I’ve come up with a few songs that a mesh well with my book. Over the next few Fridays, I’m gonna share them with you. It might give you a tiny, minuscule idea of what my book is about. I love the songs and hope you do, too.

While I was rough drafting, my friend introduced me to the first song I’m going to share with you. It's called “Go” by Hanson. Yes, Hanson as in Mmm Bop Hanson. Really, I’m not pulling your leg. Hanson really is producing music still, and the tunes are fantastic. I even saw them in concert last year. Great concert BTW. Pics posted, too! My little “crush” on Taylor Hanson still is there. Pricking at my heart even though I wasn't a huge fan in the MMMBop days. He is so blasted cute, but married with kids. Argh, all the cute ones are taken.

Alright, done with my tangent. Back to the musical business.

One night last year I was driving home from work, listening to "Go". Ok, I'll admit, I listened to it like 10 times in a row. The more I listened to it, the more it rang true to my book. Emotions mounted in my heart. Tears formed in my eyes. And a sweet smile clothed my face. "Go" strongly matches my book, or at least a part of it. I love it for what it is, but also for inspiring me to continue to write my story. I would like to share the music video with you now. Watch the video, focusing on the lyrics; they're beautiful.


Which songs have been inspirational in your writing? Or did you find a song along the way that screamed your book? Uh, not literally, though, I hope!  

6 comments:

  1. OKAY, I still love Hanson too. I was young in the MMMBOP days and loved them then. Now they actually make awesome music. So I'm totally with you on Hanson. For my current WIP my inspiration is 'When Angels and Serpents Dance' by POD. I am a huge POD fan and when i heard it months ago, I thought, man that fits my book perfectly!

    The other books inspiration was 'Face Down' by Red Jumpsuit App. and the one I currently have out to agents is tricky. It had a few but I'd say one of the theme songs is 'Swan Dive' by Sister Hazel. If you like Hanson you'll love SH.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I generally get inspired by David Bowie, Trentemoller and (don't laugh) Kylie Minogue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angela - I have heard some sister hazel. Not bad. I didn't know you are querying already. That rocks! I need to get my butt in gear and share with you. Soon!
    Rob - I love David. Have you seen him in concert? Oh it is delightful. I had a crush on him after I watche Labyrinth. Yep! I'll admit it. I am holding in a luagh right now cause you told me not to laugh about Kylie Minogue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a brilliant post. Love it!

    Music and writing are so connected for me, and there are several songs that I have compiled into a playlist that really match the heart of one of my novels.

    I love that song "Go!" I have never heard it before. (It has been years since I listened to Hanson; I didn't realize they still made music!) *smiles*

    Thanks for the post and for the intro to a great song. I am going to look up more of their music! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristin, you should check out Hanson's new tunes. They rock! Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julia,
    Great topic! I have just recently started listening to music while I write. Right now Katy Perry's Firework is my favorite. The excitement of the song seems to inspire me hehe :o)

    ReplyDelete