Monday, February 7, 2011

The Mortal Instruments Review



If you liked the video above then you’ll love The Mortal Instruments series. If anything, the video probably intrigued you to read the books. I hope.
For the Off the Shelf Challenge, I said I would read the last two books in The Immortal Instruments series, City of Ashes and City of Glass by Cassandra Clare. I previously read the first book, therefore, I will review the series as a whole.
It’s a twist on paranormal fiction including: warlocks, werewolves, vampires, faeries, and demons. The series was cool, especially because it referenced the 80’s flick, Say Anything. You’ll just have to read it to see where Clare placed the reference to the romantic, John Cusack film.  


The element to these books that I thought was the well done was Clare’s hooks. I don’t remember one; yes one, of the chapters that didn’t leave me salivating for more.  Reading for hours was a common theme to my journey to gobble up these books. 
A huge part of the books that I loved and hated was how Clare spread out a major plot element throughout the last two books. I cannot tell you what because that would definitely spoil the series. And I’m not a spoiler. This was another reason why I was hooked into the books.  I could not stop reading without knowing exactly what was going to happen.
I liked the characters, especially Jace. He is the series’ handsome-beyond-reality hunk of a hero. Plus, the villain, Valentine, was someone I would never want to be near. He’d probably sick demons on me just for breathing, or think I’m vampire because of my widow’s peak.
The fourth book comes out later this year, so it’s not over yet. Check out the countdown below. Pick up this series. You’ll enjoy it for sure! 

3 comments:

  1. So, I think I should put these books on my to-read list...I just happened to be listening to "In Your Eyes" when I started reading this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, Peter Gabriel is amazing. Great song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adding them to my list now! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete