Friday, December 30, 2011

Reflections and the New Year

With 2012 coming fast, I’ve been reflecting on all the things that have happened over the last year.

I kicked my writing butt in gear to get my first book ready to query. Of course, I went through a handful of critiques to hone it into what it is now. The journey was agonizing. Developing a thick skin from crits wasn’t an easy feet at all. Ugh! Crying was a common occurrence. But it helped me to become a better writer.

I learned how to write a query letter as well as the dreaded synopsis. Querying was a battle for me. The ups and downs were awful. There were nights I only wanted to crawl on the couch and vege out, stuffing my face with chocolate.

But it paid off in the end when I achieved my goal to have an agent by the end of 2011. A lofty aspiration, I know! But it miraculously happened. I feel blessed for it and lucky.

I’ve also gained more confidence in my writing skills. Just weeks ago, I wondered how the devil I got an agent. It dawned on me I need to trust that I can write a story worth reading. An agent thinks so and others believe in me, too. It’s time for me to accept that I’m good at this.

I don’t say this in a prideful or pompous way. I am my own worst critic. We all are! It sucks, huh? I only share this to encourage all of you to believe in yourself.

Anyway, 2011 has been a fine year. I have high hopes 2012 will be likewise.

I hope we can all hail in a great 2012! Let’s make this a fantastic year!

What are things about 2011 that have made it a good year for you? What do you want to happen during the coming year?   

Happy New Year!

Writing. Jewels.

6 comments:

  1. I've become a new person this year. A stronger, more confident, clear headed person. I've learned what success really is and what's most important. Annnnnd what good friendships really are. :D

    2012 is going to be the year of balance for me. I'm going to figure out how to fit it all in and keep my priorities straight. Oh, and get an agent! Hahaha... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have an amazing blog! I love how you have such a different perspective on things!!! Look forward to seeing more. Happy New Year in advance!

    the-white-list.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. From the first instance of reading your novel I knew there was something special about it...was there any doubt you'd get an agent? Not in my mind!

    Have a wonderful new year and enjoy your new-found career as a writer (I tend to see things as they already are in the future)! So, enjoy your new career in 2012! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for you comments, guys & dolls! This year is gonna ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  5. God is in control of my New Year...and it's going to be epic.

    It was only a matter of time, Jules. But you put in the work. You had faith. Your faith was rewarded.

    Get ready, for the Year of the Dragon is fast approaching.

    Word.

    ReplyDelete