Monday, April 15, 2013

Smiling all the Way From A to Z -- M


I don't smile about the following narrative, however I will get to what I do smile about in a paragraph, so hold tight. When I was 19 I had an accident that resulted in neck problems (totally freak bear mauling--note sarcasm). I moved to London a week later without the ability to seek out medical care. At age 22, as I stopped because of standstill traffic on the freeway, the "smart" guy behind me (probably was texting or some stupid thing like that) rear ended me going 75 mph. My car (well, dad's car--bless his heart), did a few 360's, hitting all the cars around me then stopped facing oncoming traffic. Talk about frightening. Needless to say, that exacerbated the pain a ton. When I was 27, another "intelligent" person rear ended me. I want to slap rear enders. Oh, that had double meaning there, you know what I meant though. haha
 
I suffer from neck all the way down my spine problems now. Super grrrr!
 
So, to the point: I smile big when I get a...
 
MASSAGE
 
You've heard of the five love languages, right? Well, my dominant love language is touch. I spoke this language before the said accidents, but it has intensified triple-fold. If someone even taps me on the shoulder, for the briefest of moments, I feel relief from pain. Let's put this in the context of getting a massage, just think of the euphoria I experience. A-freaking-mazing!
 
Although, I had one massage that made me literally whimper and moisture developed in my eyes. It hurt that bad and resulted in a nasty week long flu. But the knots dotting my neck down my back had to be worked out, even if it was like medieval torture. I'm serious! I'd have taken the box with spikes over that... Well, not really! Spooky!
 
For the most part, massages are heavenly for me. Sigh
 
I don't write all this to pull out the I-want-your-sympathy card; it just explains why massages make me smile. But I'm sure there are plenty of you out there that can empathize with me, unfortunately so. I feel your pain, friends. Let's start a club!
 
Anyway, do you like massages? Have you ever had a massage that made you cry? And starting with the letter M, what makes you smile?
 
Writing Jewels

PS: Refer to the blurb on the very top of my blogs sidebar to know why I am posting about what makes me smile. Go forward and smile!

30 comments:

  1. Wow, have you been in some serious accidents!
    My wife likes foot massages. Yes, I'm a sucker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! I am glad you are safe-accidents are scary. I've actually never had a real massage. Although latley I have been considering it because I have a job that requires me to sit at a desk most days and I can feel knots in my back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you should get a massage. It's amazing!

      Delete
  3. This is why robot cars are great. Massages are nice, especially after I've been hunched over a computer for days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a fantastic idea, robot cars. You should patent that idea. :)

      Delete
  4. Yikes! You've really gone through the ringer. My love language is touch too so I can see why they would be extra smiley making. I've never had a professional one, but maybe someday...

    My "M" smile maker would be Mousse, as in chocolate mousse. That stuff is divine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm, chocolate mousse is nummy! Well, you had me at chocolate.

      Delete
  5. Yikes! I'm glad you're okay.

    I'm actually not much of a fan of massages. I'm weird, I know. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You aren't weird, well, maybe a little bit. JK!

      Delete
  6. So sorry about the crashes, that's crazy, and scary.

    I like foot and hand massages, but don't touch my shoulders. I'll tense up and end up in worse pain than before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My love language is Gifts...great receiving them, equally great giving them. And I believe in the healing energy of massage, especially in the hands of an expert. That reminds me - I'm due for one. I'm glad you get relief from a good massage. Take care, and come and visit me at MROP. -Belinda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gifts are good. I could use a gift of a massage. :)

      Delete
  8. I like Steven's idea of robot cars to keep us safe. A poor older gentleman had a stroke while driving and ran someone over in my town this week.

    As for things that make me smile--making memories. My love language is quality time. I don't want things for birthdays and any other gift giving moment. I want to go somewhere or do something to make a memory. My kids can't break my memories. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making good memories is important. I like some quality time too, however, I like my alone time. A lot. Guess that's why being a writer is a good career choice for me.

      Delete
  9. I agree that rear-enders need a kick in the shorts. Never had a massage--except the ones from hubs--but it sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good hard kick in the shorts. :) I'd love to have a hubs to give me massages. How delightful!

      Delete
  10. That sounds nice! I mean the massage, not the accidents - that sucks. People need to pay more attention!

    Ironically, the last of my love languages is touch. I don't really like to be touched and no I don't have a traumatic back-story for it, but I'm just not a big fan of it. My top love language is quality time and words of affirmation. Last ex's love language was touch. Yeah, that ended. I just didn't wanna cuddle all the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I can imagine that relationship was doomed from the beginning. Not to sound heartless or anything...

      Delete
  11. I love massages. My neck and shoulders are where all my tension end up. I feel a little guilty spending money on that luxury at times, but I do feel so good when getting a massage. I'm glad you've found a way to relieve your pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had more money to get a massage once a week. Right now, it's like once every 6 months. I need that amazing book deal and I'll be set. :)

      Delete
  12. Oh, Julia; I'm sorry you terrified the poor Bear! That's the only thing I can think of which would have led to a mauling.

    Being rear-ended in a car is a whole lot of "not fun." I was only read-ended once, and didn't suffer too badly. But I have pains from my head and neck all the way down my back, somewhat like you. Fortunately I know a massage therapist who is very helpful. (I know some chiropractors, too.)

    That said, I do find massages helpful. I should go more often — I think I would feel better. Hope you do, too.

    Blessings and Bear hugs!
    Bears Noting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Yes, I should have been nicer to the bear. I'll show more mercy next time.

      Delete
  13. Yes! I love massages too. It's too bad that I can't talk my husband into giving them more often, but for some reason he doesn't like his shoulder's rubbed, so he doesn't understand how fantastic it feels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you want me to have a chat with your hubs? I'll convince him to give ya more massages. :)

      Delete
  14. I fractured my spine in four places last July because of a water tubing accident. So...I've been there. I grew to LOVE the therapy though once I got a bit stronger. I had the massages, electric muscle stimulants (much more appealing than it sounds), and ultrasounds three times a week for six months.

    Massages...great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one of thos electric muscle stimulant things. I love it! Sorry to hear you've had your own accidents. Sucky, huh?

      Delete
  15. I'm glad to hear that you're okay. This was a very nicely written post.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete