As I watch the leaves changing colors on the mountains surrounding the valley where I live and see the leaves piling up on the grass in the yard, I ponder the seasons.
It brings to mind the different seasons of my life. I’ve gone through my formative years all the way up to high school graduation. Lots of stamps reside in my passport. A university diploma has been obtained. And now I’m in the author season—one in which will swirl throughout the coming seasons of my life.
At the beginning of this ongoing chapter of my life, all I had under my writing belt was the endless research papers I had to write during college. Uh, that certainly wasn’t the most entertaining time of my life. But when I was inspired to write my book Félicité Found and amazingly started plucking away at the keyboard, I started the journey of a life time.
These are some things I’ve learned during this part of my life:
- Actually finishing something that I never thought I’d be able to do
- Having complete adoration for my book
- Learning patience
- Feeling comfortable using the technical elements of writing (grammar and punctuation)
- Being able to craft a story that people really like
- Developing characters to the point where you feel they’re your best friend
- Utilizing dialogue to make the story real
- Becoming a social networking-ista (like a fashionista but for social networking)
- Developing and maintaining a blog that I’m proud of
- Becoming good friends with other writers
- Showing, not telling
- Writing a great query letter and synopsis
- Did I mention patience? :)
- Gaining confidence in my writing skills
- And accepting constructive criticism and rejection
With all these things in mind, I look back over the past two years and see just how far I’ve come. I’ve fallen in love with the written word, if not by writing it, reading it. I’m so grateful I’ve found this excellent skill in my life. It has altered my existence forever. I will never be the same for it. And I like who I’ve become because of it.
Next time you look at the crisp autumnal colors brightening the trees, think about just how far you’ve come in the joyous adventures in your life and the season you’re experiencing now. Embrace them and never, ever let them slip out of your hands. They are priceless!