Monday, March 18, 2013

Top Ten Movie Countdown Blogfest


The awe inspiring author and blogger extraordinaire, Alex J. Cavanaugh is hosting this pretty nifty blogfest. I decided to join in by sharing my top ten favorite movies. My twist to this blogfest: I'm sharing my favorite quote from the films.
 
Here they are (counting down to my absolute favorite):
 
10. The Prestige: This movie was mind blowing. I left the theater speechless, still mulling over the film.
      Quote:
      Cutter: "Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking for it. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled."
 
9. The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - This is a laugh every second from the very beginning movie until the end.
      Quote:
      Ford: "If you want to survive out here, you've got to know where your towel is."
 
8. Despicable Me - Can I say hilarious? Well, I just did or rather typed it.
      Quote:
      Agnes: "It's so fluffy, I'm gonna die!"
 
7. Powder - Just a superb masterpiece of a movie that twists my heart every time I see it.
      Quote:
      "Lindsey: Your father. Your father hurt you a long time ago. You're so sad, he made you so sad. He thought you were ugly, and he kept saying that you weren't... I'm sorry.
       Powder: Do you? Do you?
       Lindsey: Do I what?
       Powder: Do you think I'm ugly?
       Lindsey: I don't know what I think when I look at you. But sometimes I think, I think you're the most beautiful thing I've ever seen."
 
6. Sherlock Holmes - Wow, talk about amazing and the music by Hans Zimmer rocked my world.
      Quote:
      "Mrs. Hudson: Oh, he's killed the dog. Again.
      Watson: What have you done to Gladstone now?
      Sherlock: I was simply testing a new anesthetic. He doesn't mind."
 
5. The King's Speech - Amazing!
      Quote: (Pardon it's vulgarity)
      "Lionel Logue: Do you know the 'f' word?
      King George VI: Ffff... fornication?"
 
4. Madagascar - I chuckle every time I see this one, and I've seen it many, many times.
      Quote:
      "Mort: King Julian! What are they? What are they?
       Julian: They are... aliens! Savage aliens! From the savage world!
       Maurice: They've come to kill us! And take our women! And our precious metals!
       Mort: [begins weeping]
       Julian: Get up Mort! Do not be near the King's feet, okay!"
 
3. The 'Burbs - This is definitely a King Family favorite. I still chuckle every time I watch Tom Hanks eating the sardine and then he blows his nose in the newspaper and it sounds like an elephant.
      Quote:
      "Ricky Butler: Mr. Officer, wait! I mean, there's these people and they're in my parents' house and they're eating all their food."
 
2. Waking Ned Devine - The scene at the end dealing with the old woman and the phone booth gets me laughing to tears every single time.
      Quote:
      "Annie O'Shea: Have we won?
      Jackie O'Shea: No, but it got my apple tart brought in now didn't it."
 
1. The Italian Job - What can I say other than THIS MOVIE ROCKS. Music rocks too! My favorite line in the movie is brought to you by Mos Def and Mark Wahlberg.
      Quote: (pardon it's French):
      "Left Ear: This dude got dogs. I don't do dogs... I had a real bad experience, man.
       Charlie: What happened?
       Left Ear: I had. A bad. Experience. Damn it. I'm deaf!"
 
So there you have it, folks. My top 10 favorite movies. What are yours?
 
Writing Jewels

37 comments:

  1. The quotes are an awesome touch! I toyed with placing one of the Sherlock Holmes movies on my list, but just ran out of room.
    Thanks for participating in my blogfest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome list! I totally forgot about Powder. Maybe I should check it out again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely check it out again. Such a good flick. :)

      Delete
  3. I totally agree with you about The Kings Speech, loved that movie too. The Sherlock movies were a lot of fun as well. Great list, Julia. (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Oh I can watch that movie over and over again and never get tired of it. Classic!

      Delete
  5. Great list, i really enjoyed the Italian Job too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, the Italian Job is priceless. Must watch it again.

      Delete
  6. Good choices. I'd forgotten about The King's English. It was so fun to see Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennett together again--even if they weren't married (or destined to be).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, when I saw Elizabeth Bennett in the film my jaw completely dropped. If I remember correctly, I think I giggled which was probably super random to the person sitting next to me, but who cares, I love giggling.

      Delete
  7. Love how you did quotes. Quoting movies around here is an Olympic sport! My Swissie is the best - no one can beat her, and she has the best quote for every situation. We have a lot of fun together. Hitchhiker's was on my list too. My favorite quote is when Ford and Arthur get dropped off the Vogan construction ship and the Guide talks about their odds of being rescued, which coincidentally is the number of the Islington flat where Arthur completely blew it. However, Ford and Arthur were rescued. Ford? I feel like a sofa. I know what you mean...now I want to go watch it...
    Man, blogger is on a comment eating frenzy this morning...I was going to say I loved Breakfast Club and HAVE watched it with my teenage boys and we really enjoyed it. Good discussion too. Yes, he used stereotypes, but I think that was his whole point like you said.
    Anyway, great list. We should have a movie night sometime!
    Tina @ Life is Good
    Co-host, April 2013 A-Z Challenge Blog
    @TinaLifeisGood, #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Ford? I feel like a sofa. I know what you mean."

      LOL

      I think that's my second favorite line in the Hitchhiker's. I think I need to watch it again, too.

      Thanks for stopping by! I can't wait for the Blogging from A-Z April Challenge. Bring it!

      Delete
  8. You have a lot of great ones on there....loved Sherlock Holmes,but was convinced I'd hate it before it came out.

    Great list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed Sherlock Holmes. It was a very good couple of movies. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. Despicable Me is hilarious! I love little Agnes! :) And I love King Julian - he's so funny. Have you seen Merry Madagascar? It's their little Christmas movie and Julian makes the animals celebrate Julianuary - a holiday dedicated to his majesty. It's so funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Krista, you just made my day! I am totally going to have to snag me a copy of Merry Madagascar. Just knowing there's a movie out there with that name and with the amazing characters makes me giggle and get all sorts of giddy. I love me some Madagascar. Thanks for commenting and telling me about it. Hugs!

      Delete
  10. I've only seen Sherlock Holmes, though I've heard awesome things about The King's Speech. All the films on my list are quite old, and the relatively modern films are historical dramas, not light-hearted entertainment. I really don't know a lot of modern movies or actors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie-Anne, you must watch The King's Speech. It was amazing!

      Delete
  11. I have Despicable Me. Love that show! I still haven;t seen The Kings Speech. Sounds like a good date night movie to watch with the wife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I second your notion about The King's Speech date night with your wife. It is phenomenal!

      Delete
  12. Great picks! And I love that you put your favorite quotes from each. brilliant.
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the quotes would add some spice to the list. :)

      Delete
  13. Despicable Me! Oh that one so nearly made it onto my list too. And your idea of putting in your favourite quotes was genius. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go and find a new unicorn toy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your new unicorn toy is just a awesome as a toilet bowl cleaner decorated to look like a unicorn toy. I love me some Minions! hehe

      Delete
  14. Nice choices. And I love the Sherlock Holmes quote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a ton of great quotes from Sherlock. As I am a dog lover, that one took the cake for me. :)

      Delete
  15. Oh my goodness, I've only seen 3 of those!

    I loved the Hitchhiker's Guide books, but I have yet to see the movie. I have worried that it won't hold up. Guess you're telling me I'm wrong and should see it immediately! Thanks, Julia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so have to read the Hitchhiker's books. Haven't gotten to them yet. Maybe they should be my next audio book listening adventures. I've heard the movie is different from the books so it may throw you off, however the movie still rocks!

      Delete
  16. The Burbs is my wife's favourite film!!! I love it too. I love the close up of the dog's face when they're all looking at the weird house.

    Have you seen the original Italian Job? "You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off." Also some on your list I didn't know, so thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, goodie! I'm glad you like The Burbs too. And the part where the camera zooms in on the dog is classic. :) I will have to watch the original Italian Job. Thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete
  17. Love Madagascar! Great movie picks, although I haven't seen them all, yet. Need to make huge Netflix list.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just dropping by from the blog hop to say you've got a great list!

    ReplyDelete