Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Being Sentimental. And the Irreplaceable Doggy Gloves.

First of all, a Hap-Hap-Happy Birthday to my brother. I love ya, Jim Bob (that's not really his name but what I've called him every now and again since I was a little girl).

Secondly, both my cute gloves fell out of my car weeks ago. One by one, as the snow has melted, they have returned to their momma (me). In the photo, the one on the right appeared on the driveway on Monday, that's why it's dirty. These gloves have sentimental value as they will always remind me of a super awesome friend that bought me them before we went go-carting in the cold years ago. Thanks A.W.A.H. (those are his initials--yes, two middle names). You are awesome, man!

Wow, that was way random, I know. I'll get to a point... Have you ever lost something that has sentimental value and then it reappears months later. Doesn't it just make ya happy? Well, that sure happened for me with my gloves. Uh, yes, I giggled a bunch of thrilled giggles.

How is it that certain things can take such a hold upon us while other things don't? I have this stuffed animal that was my Grandpa Kings. Upon his death, I received it. It has a football team's jersey on it (right now I can't think of the team and the bear is at my parents' house for safe keeping so I can't grab it). Now, I don't like football and I'm not a sports fan, yet this bear reminds me of my grandpa so much that I can't help but love it.

Even smells can be sentimental. There are times when I smell the scent of both of my granparents' old homes. My paternal grandparents' house was saturated with the scent of years past cigarette and cigar smoke along with coffee. My maternal grandparents' house wafted with the tang of cedar chest-like comfort. They bring me back to the good old days when I spent weeks on end sleeping over at their homes. Oh, how I loved them. Sigh

One of my characters has a necklace with a key hanging from it that her dad gave to her. It is supposed to remind her of unlocking a happy and bright future in her life. The fact that it came from her father makes it all the more precious.

What are some things that you find sentimental in your life? Do you hold on to certain objects while others you could throw away without even batting an eyelash? Have you incorporated sentimentality into your writing?

Writing Jewels

10 comments:

  1. I still have my first Teddy Bear. You pulled his cord and he talked. Very fancy back in the day!
    Glad you found your gloves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sweet! Does the bear still talk when you pull the string? I know how cool things like that were "back in the day". I'm glad I found my gloves too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday to your brother! Sorry you dropped your gloves. Last year I had a favorite pair of gloves that got lost at a Halloween party I took my daughter to. I only came home with one. Oddly enough, it resurfaced at the host's house in the spring, so I did eventually get it back but by then, I'd replaced them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there is something to those gloves that little kids wear that are attached to their coat. There's no losing them that way unless if the coat gets misplaced. Anyway, I was very happy to have both pairs return to me. I'm happy you found your pair, even if you had already purchased another set.

      Thanks for wishing my bro and happy birthday. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm not a huge sentimental person, but there are things from my childhood that I sigh over when I think about them. I don't have any of them anymore, and when I'm reminded of them I'm like, "Oh, yeah! I forgot about that." See, not very sentimental. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes not being sentimental is nice. There's a ton of things that I wouldn't care if I had them or not. Typically once a year I go through my stuff and throw out what I'm never gonna use and keep the rest. It's sort of like a spring cleaning. :)

      Delete
  5. I'm not too sentimental either, but I do have my grandmother's rings that mean a lot to me. She was special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that is special, indeed. I'm glad you got them. :)

      Delete
  6. My most sentimental object is my old stuffed cat Davy, whom my paternal grandma made from a pattern in 1988, when I was 8 years old. I named him after Davy Jones, may his memory be for a blessing. His fabric has turned yellow from age, and has worn thin and even pulled apart in some places. His "twin" sister Davina meanwhile is still as bright and plump as she was when she was made. I made Davy Real, just like the Velveteen Rabbit, and once a toy has become Real, it lasts for always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet! Thanks for sharing about Davy Jones, your precious stuffed cat. Fabulous sentimental creature. :)

      Delete