Friday, April 15, 2011

Reading, Apologies, & Some Changes

Hey, y’all. I didn’t post on Monday or Wednesday. Can you believe it? Yep, it’s true. I really had nothing fantastic to say. If you stopped by, I apologize for not offering you something to read. I’m thinking of changing things up a bit by only posting on Tuesday and Thursday. That means there will be no more “What I’ve Learned Wednesday.” What a shame cuz it was fun. So kids, I figure, I work full-time, am writing a book, am tweeting a lot, and have books I’m trying to read. Plus, I need to have a life, too. It’s just too hard to post three times a week, and I fear you’re going to get sick of me. That is not possible, though cuz I’m brilliant. Not really, but let’s fake like I am. Just humor me on that one. Tehehehe!

Well, I’ve read a few books over the last few months. Here’s the list:

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer
Inkspell by Cornelia Funke
The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff
Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum
Beyonders: A World Without Heroes by Brandon Mull
Minders by Kate Kaynak

I love reading guys. It’s probably the most fun thing that I do—other than writing, of course. I want to single out one of the above mentioned books. Beyonders: A World Without Heroes by Brandon Mull. It is extraordinary. Mull reached into his creative mind to create a whole new world of fantasy characters. Not just normal fantasyesque beings like elves and centaurs, but new ones. You’ll have to read the book to get to know them. Brandon Mull is one of my favorite authors, and the cool thing is he lives in my hometown. That makes me feel special.

Here is a blurb about it the book:

“Jason Walker has often wished his life could be a bit less predictable--until a routine day at the zoo ends with Jason suddenly transporting from the hippo tank to a place unlike anything he's ever seen. In the past, the people of Lyrian welcomed visitors from the Beyond, but attitudes have changed since the wizard emperor Maldor rose to power. The brave resistors who opposed the emperor have been bought off or broken, leaving a realm where fear and suspicion prevail. In his search for a way home, Jason meets Rachel, who was also mysteriously drawn to Lyrian from our world. With the help of a few scattered rebels, Jason and Rachel become entangled in a quest to piece together the word of power that can destroy the emperor, and learn that their best hope to find a way home will be to save this world without heroes.” (Good Reads)

Brandon Mull also wrote the Fablehaven series (phenomenal books) and The Candy Shop War. He also has a picture book called Pingo. Pick up the books and you’ll become a fan of his literature within no time. The Beyonders will be a trilogy. I seriously can’t wait for the next books to be released in the coming two years.

What have you been reading as of late?

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, I'll have to read The Beyonders!

    Lately all my reading has been Whitney Award finalists, as I try to finish before next week's deadline. A copule of books I've particularly enjoyed recently: Sandra Grey's Trespass (the third in her trilogy), and Sarah Eden's Courting Miss Lancaster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love Sandra Grey's Traitor, Tribunal and Trespass series. Haven't read Trespass yet, but sure will!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished Anathema by Megg Jensen and I'm now reading Sleight by Jennifer Sommersby. Like you my dear twister, so very busy every day :o(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Julia! Just came across your blog. I'm now following you :)

    Your post about the Beyonders caught my eye for two reasons. 1) My son is currently reading this book and loves it, 2) I recently blogged about it! You can check it out here.

    http://ellaschwartz.net/2011/03/yes-i-am-original/

    I'm currently reading Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly, but I love books like the ones you mention in your blog post.

    ReplyDelete