Friday, November 4, 2011

Design and Writing

Since I was a wee lassie, I’ve enjoyed watching shows about home improvement. Ie: Hometime or This Old House. Nowadays, I really, reaLLY, REALLY love HGTV! Typically, if I’m watching TV, it’s definitely tuned in to that channel. Unless if NCIS is on, of course. I have a tiny-little-maybe-super-huge-gigantic crush on Mark Harmon (Gibbs). *wink’s awkwardly at him* Winking isn’t quite on the list of things I’ve exceled at.

Any who . . . From shows like Color Splash with David Bromstad to Divine Design to Home by Novogratz, I’ve become rather savvy with home décor. I know what looks nice and what doesn’t. If I had a little extra time, I’d probably head off to an interior decorator school. But alas, I haven’t the time for such an awesome degree to be added to my resume.

With all that said, it makes me think about writing. With being an author, I read a lot (as much as I can, but not quite as much as I’d like). It’s through reading that a writer can gain a wealth of knowledge about their craft.

These are things I look for when I’m reading:
  • Sentence structure (including grammar and punctuation)
  • Dialogue usage
  • Beats
  • Showing
  • Character development
  • Plot thickening
  • Hooks
  • And of course, a great wicked awesome story to revel in!

These things have helped me develop my own writing skills. Like all the HGTV I’ve watched has given me the designer’s eye, feasting upon words has enriched my writing. I pay attention to what I read so it can give me ideas to strengthen my own prose.

What do you pay attention to while reading? How has reading helped your own writing skills? Or, what books have inspired your writing?

3 comments:

  1. I enjoy symbolism and motif, and especially the raw emotion, individual idealism, and the constant questioning contained in the young adult genre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you're a deep man, David. Putting me all to shame. haha Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try and NOT pay attention to things while reading, LOL! I think the biggest thing for me is if a book can completely transport me... immerse me in its world. If it's done that, then the author has accomplished his/her mission. I have a hard time enjoying reading if I'm being too critical, so I try to just shut off my brain and enjoy ;)

    ReplyDelete