Friday, January 13, 2012

Writing Support System: A Must Have

Being a writer is not easy at all. It requires a lot of time sitting at your computer, plotting out scenes, being on a high, and being in the dumps. It's always nice to have those wonderful people you can rely on every step of the way, even when you think you're taking 500 steps backwards at times.

I was tweeting back and forth with someone a while ago. She was struggling to find the support needed during her writing journey. I gave her some suggestions on how to find the support. By golly, it's what I had to do. But it's not easy at all to obtain the people you rely on through the ups and downs.

Here are my ideas:
  1. Use your family or friends as a support system. My very first critiques of my book, FÉLICITÉ FOUND, were my good friend and my sister-in-law.
  2. Actively use Twitter - Start up conversations. Find people you get a long with and have the same interests. Be their friend and they will be yours.
  3. Join Facebook writing chats groups.
  4. Go to writing events - Book tours, writing groups, book/writing conferences, etc... You will definitely find people who are looking for support just as you are.
  5. Comment on people's blogs. It'll get your name out there.
  6. Start your own blog. Likewise, it'll get your name out there.
  7. Become a beta for other writers.
  8. Ask people if they want to be CP's. It never hurts to ask. I'd suggest you have already built rapport with the person before you ask.
  9. Eat lots of chocolate. You'll need it.
  10. And most of all, be patient. These things won't happen over night. But your outside support system with writers WILL come.
Today, I want to thank one of those many people I count as my supporters!

My Dad!!!

It's his birthday today, so I thought it only right to share my love and gratitude to him for all of his support, not only with my being an author but EVERYTHING he's ever done for me. I love you, Pops!

What are your suggestions to find your writing support system?

Writing. Jewels.

9 comments:

  1. All great suggestions, Jules! Also, happy b-day father King!

    One thing I found that helped me was just being a normal person on twitter. I found a great support group by just chatting. The writing pep talks came later. Along with finding CP's and betas. If you just be yourself, then support will come your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so hard to find though, even doing all those things. I've tried several times with people I've met through blogging and other avenues and it just fizzled every single time. There's no guaranteed path to finding a support system.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie - Yep, you've gotta be yourself. True that!

    Stephanie - So true. I've had the same thing happen. It's hard to keep those ties strong. At least you made the connection, right? Unfortunately, it's not an exact science. Wish it could be! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's true. I love twitter because it's so much fun to talk to fellow writers and read each others stories. Plus, I've found a lot of crazy people on there which makes me feel right at home.
    Also, I'm a woman, so I nibble on chocolate pretty much every second of the day :) Chocolate is such a great invention.
    Now all I need is to finish my story and find a publisher. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Morgan - First of all, thanks for joining my force of followers. :) Agree fully with your chocolate comments. Now, go forward and write. Finish your story and query! You can do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely need a support system. Couldn't agree more! =) And happy birthday to your dad!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! My writing has always been kind of a secretive thing, but last week I spent about an hour just talking about ideas with a friend that I found out is also a "closet" writer, and after that I wrote one of my best scenes in months. I think being able to talk and volley ideas back and forth makes such a big difference in the creative process. I am definitely going to be looking at this blog post again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. L.L. - I'm glad my post was helpful! I'm glad you had such a fantastic writing experience due to a chat with your friend. BTW: Tell them to WRITE! No more closetiering. haha I just made up a word. Ok, I'll shut up now. Off to work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know what I'd do without my writing support system. My family but also my fellow writing friends and bloggers like you! It makes such a difference to have those people around when you're having a tough time with your book, or want someone to celebrate successes with :)

    ReplyDelete