Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Smiling all the Way From A to Z -- O

Today's smiles are brought to you by something that truly brightens my spirits. The letter O stands for...

OUTDOORS

I was raised by a dad that enjoyed the outdoors more than anything. We went hiking and biking a bunch during the summer as well as road trips to see the beauties of Western United States. He taught me the importance of enjoying my surroundings to the full. It was not that difficult to do that since I grew up a mile away from the opening of a gorgeous canyon in Utah. His favorite mountain range, Mt. Timpanogos, just a 20 minute drive away from us. The Dadio is a photographer, too so nature is his canvas. He loves snapping photos of all things beautiful!

I've been backpacking many times. It's not easy and ya get rather stinky, but it's well worth the amazing scenery and calm from the sounds of rushing rivers, birds chirping, and each crunch of footsteps in the dirt. I've backpacked Zions National Park, Grand Canyon, and the Tetons, Yet, I've been able to do countless day hikes in Utah's mountains.

Here are some pics from my outdoor adventures:
Cinque Terre - Italy day hike
Grand Canyon
Great Wall of China - I'm in the pink shirt
 Dirty Dash - I can't say I smiled a lot cuz it was way cold.
I got really sweaty on my hike out of Zions. Odd that being sweaty makes me smile.
Zions East Rim
 Snowshoeing - Utah

Do you enjoy the outdoors? Have you been backpacking or hiking or snowshoeing? If so, where? Or are you more of a road trip kind of person to see the beauties of the world? Last but not least, starting with the letter O, what makes you smile?

Writing Jewels

PS: Refer to the blurb on the very top of my blogs sidebar to know why I am posting about what makes me smile. Go forward and smile!


23 comments:

  1. Fantastic O pick! I love the outdoors. Utah has so many great choices to explore. I've never been backpacking, but I've been camping a lot. Hope to do some this summer. Thanks for sharing the fun pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not really an outdoors person, unless it's the beach. I'm not a fan of bugs or being dirty. :) Your pics are fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love some time on the beach right now.

      Delete
  3. We are lucky to live somewhere so beautiful! I should take advantage of it more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures!

    I not much of an outdoors person, but I do enjoy walking through the woods from time to time. :)

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Though raised in a thoroughly urban neighbourhood, I love the outdoors. Hiking, camping, canoeing, watching birds and animals, hunting with a camera (got some great shots). I haven't been all the interesting places you have, but did spend some time in Israel and Egypt.

    Blessings and Bear hugs!
    Bears Noting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so jealous that you've been to Israel and Egypt. I'd love to go there one day!

      Delete
  6. Great Wall of China - very impressive!
    I don't mind day hikes, but sadly, I am not a big fan of the great outdoors. Too dirty and buggy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have to admit, the bugs and being dirty isn't my favorite, especially when I'm a bug-a-phobe. Icky! I will never sleep without a tent.

      Delete
  7. I spent a fair amount of my growing up years in the wilderness of New Mexico and Colorado, camping and hiking in some extremely remote areas. I thoroughly enjoy the wilderness areas of Utah as well. My most memorable experience has to be mountain biking in Moab and running over a rattlesnake stretched out across the trail. Fortunately I was doing well over 30 mph at the time. Angels Landing was also thoroughly enjoyable, along with hiking to the summit of Timpanogos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angels Landing freaked me out. Bad. I will never hike that one again. I swear, I thought I was going to die. Eep!

      Delete
  8. AAh yes the outdoors! Love your pictures and adventures, thanks for sharing. Sometimes we all just need to get outside.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cool! Back when my back would allow me to hike, we used to trek through part of the Smokey Mountains on a yearly basis. Such beauty :)

    Writing Through College

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry your back is kicking your ability to trek through the mountains. I hope it gets better so you can one day be back out in the widl. :)

      Delete
  10. Awesome photos. I thought I was a hiker Julie until I saw your expedition type shots of you all over the world. Compared to you I am a certifiable couch potato.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, silly, shush! For the most part, I'm a couch potato all the way. hehe

      Delete
  11. I'd love to do more of this but my family aren't very outdoorsy! Growing up though, I would go on hiking and camping trips with my friends a lot. There's some brilliant places to explore in the UK like Snowdonia, you should try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the hiking recommendation. Next time I'm in the UK, I will have to check it out. Oh, I wish it were soon. I miss it there.

      Delete
  12. I'm huge on the outdoors. If it would finally warm up around here, I might go out more often. I'm not big on snow. I do some skiing but I prefer hiking. Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish it would warm up too. Today was cold. Brrr

      Delete